Saturday, December 18, 2004

Gun Control Dimwits

Eugene Volokh reports on the gun ban proposed by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Following the lead of crime-free cities such as our nation's capital, they aim to make possession of a handgun by anyone but the police or military a crime, and make it illegal to sell or distribute any firearm within their city limits.

For the good people there, who already suffer from the liberal idiocy pervading that place with such things as aggressive bums in their streets, I hope this attempt to deprive them of their constitutional rights falls flat on its smug left-wing thug face. But for those smug left-wing thugs who've been ascendant in that breathtakingly beautiful city, I hope it passes. I've had my visit out there, one I'll always treasure, and I hope my soon-to-be-born son can visit too. But if the numbskulls in charge have their way, they'll soon be assailed by much worse than strident pan-handlers; they'll be terrorized by the wave of crime and murder that always follows these moronic gun bans (just ask England). And my son will just have to visit breathtakingly beautiful north Georgia instead, where the citizens are free to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicles, so long as they keep them in plain view or in the glove compartment. And crime isn't a problem there.