Saturday, December 18, 2004

All Right, Something Positive...

My brother checked out my blog, and said it melted his laptop screen. Okay, so the past few entries haven't been in the Christmas spirit. How 'bout this?

My wife and I were visiting my parents in lovely Upper Michigan when the local news ran the tragic story of the fifteen-year-old girl in Wauwautosa, Wis., who had contracted rabies. Bitten by a bat at her church, she had ignored the problem until it was already a full-blown case of hydrophobia. (Honestly, this is a positive post!) We could only shake our heads at what seemed a sure thing that the poor young lady would die. Only five people ever survived rabies, and they had all had the vaccine.

But she beat the odds. With the aid of a new treatment by the folks at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, where she was put into an induced coma and given a combination of anaesthetics and antivirals, Jeanna Giese survived, and may yet make it home for Christmas.

That's a miracle.